Saturday 26 May 2018

Twit parade: some (more) of my favourite songs...

In the heady, halcyon days of autumn 2016, I joined in when some of the classical music folk I know and love on Twitter started sharing some of their favourite songs, using the entirely sensible hashtag #SomeOfMyFavouriteSongs. Everyone occupied the hot seat for a week, posting a song a day - then, seven selections later, would hand the baton onto someone else.

I archived my choices in a blog post here, with a few sneaky 'bubbling under' inclusions bringing the playlist up to 10.

This year, we all pitched in for a second round. I still tried to keep to my arbitrary rules (essentially: choose a different composer every day, to avoid just posting Schubert). But even without my trying or consciously thinking about it, I drifted towards a few more selections away from the usual voice/piano template - so this time round, there's two guitars, two orchestras, and a lute.


As before, here are my choices saved for posterity - along with another three extra songs for added value! I hope you enjoy them.

*

Ireland: 'Sea Fever', performed by Roderick Williams and Julius Drake.


Britten: 'The Big Chariot', performed by Ian Bostridge and Xuefei Wang.


Hahn: 'Néère', performed by Véronique Gens and Susan Manoff.


Schubert: 'Nachtstück', performed by Christoph Prégardien and Tilman Hoppstock.


Cara: 'Fugga pur chi vol amore', performed by Carolyn Sampson and Robert Meunier.


Glass: 'Evening Song', performed by Douglas Parry (from 'Satyagraha').


Adams: 'Batter my heart', performed by Gerald Finley (from 'Doctor Atomic').


Bonus tracks!

Schubert: 'Suleika I', performed by Gundula Janowitz and Irwin Gage.


Chausson: 'L'albatros', performed by Marie-Nicole Lemieux and Daniel Blumenthal.


Simon & Garfunkel: 'For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her'. (This feels to me as much an 'art song' as a pop or folk number. I think it's because it travels exactly where it needs to.)



1 comment:

  1. Yes, some good ones here! Thankyou! I've performed Sea Fever in the dim and distant past; very enjoyable to sing.

    ReplyDelete